Do you run listening to music or podcasts? Or are you prefer to be able to hear your surroundings? Do you try to do both?
I always listen to something. On slow days or long runs I listen to podcasts but for speed days I love listening to music. The only time I might ditch the headphones is on the trails. I pride myself on being aware of my surroundings but I know I've been caught off guard with a car passing or a dog barking when I've been in the zone.
I've been wearing Yurbuds for woman for the last few years. I've had a serious love/hate relationship with them. They fit in my ears ok until it gets hot out and I start sweating. Then it's a every few steps, I'm adjusting the earbud. Then I've lost the silicon earbud covering and replacing them is nearly the cost of what paid for the headphones. I've been wanting to try something new but wasn't sure what would work.
Enter AfterShokz Bone Conduction headphones. What?! Bone Conduction? Here's what Aftershokz webpage says:
Transducers guide mini vibrations through the cheekbones to the inner ears, delivering sound without plugging or covering them.
Here's a picture of my son wearing them:
|Not "in" your ear, so you can still hear around you!|
- light weight
- sound quality was good- but I'm not terribly picky about that
- you could hear around you
- no one could hear my music -at least when I asked
- no earbuds falling out
- plugged in with no problems with my Otter Box case
- no interferences with my sunglasses by my ears
|You can hardly see them!|
- you need to turn them on and off- I forgot once but they were still good for the next days run.
- extra little battery pack attached to the end of the cord was awkward, I used my FitBelt so it was tucked away but if I had an arm strap that would be swinging around.
- I tested these in the winter. Anytime I had a hat on the headphone frame would pull the hat out, so my ears did not stay covered. I ended up having to use the headphones when I didn't need a hat.
- I could hear things that I previously could tune out. Examples: my keys in my pocket making noise, other runner's weird breathing in races, etc. also at the gym all the grunting and conversations that you kinda want to tune out.
cold ears :-(
Click here to buy and get a free stainless steel water bottle. Plus free shipping!