Sunday, August 7, 2011

Hills and Humidity

So I woke up today at 6:15 to thunderstorms and rain, exactly the stuff you want to hit the snooze alarm and continue to sleep to run in.  9 minutes later I figured I should check the radar to see if the long run was going to happen this am.  The storm was almost done so couldn't use that as a cop out.  Crap maybe Carrie will cancel?

I was tired.  I tossed and turned last night and woke up at 2 hungry.  Then I could hear our new neighbors out on their patio talking, which I was curious to listen to them since we've yet to meet them and I'm nosy.  Got up and scarfed down a yogurt and finally fell asleep.  Anyways, back to this am.  Rain was done, headed out the door at 7:15 to meet up with my awesome running partner Carrie.

Our plan was to run 9 miles today.  The trails we run on are only 3 miles long so 3 loops. The trail starts at the top of a hill and works its way down along a river/creekbed then climbs back up, no way to escape the hills.   We set off at a pretty decent clip, but the humidity was horrible, especially amongst the trees.  We decided to walk the hills today.  Lap one done, lap 2 we decided to go the opposite direction.  It totally seemed longer going the other way.  Both of us managed to slip on rocks and tweak our ankles, each time requiring a bit of a walkout before returning to run.  3 lap I was dying feeling pretty good considering all.  No doubt about it, if Carrie hadn't been there I would have quit for the day.  BUT I DID IT!  9 MILES!  I haven't run that long since 2001 when I trained for the Marine Corps Marathon.

It's nice to do loops since we saw the same runners/walkers again and again.  One guy, I'll call him Eric Northman (Any TrueBlood fans?), totally looked like him had passed us numerous times, and I heard him tell someone he'd done 20 miles.  I can imagine doing 20 on those trails but it's beautiful. 

Came home to an empty house, DH had taken the boys hiking and made coffee! I love my DH! 

My weekly milage: 30  First time ever I've run so much in a week!  This coming week training will be harder to do, we have visitors for the week and soccer practices in the evening.  I'm going to have to figure something out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Athlinks

Disclaimer:  I am promoting  Athlinks  as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a  BibRave Pro (ambassador) , and check out...