Saturday, September 17, 2011

Race Recap: Air Force 10k

As you all know from my last post that I was a bit worried about getting sick before my race since I had the beginnings of a sore throat.  I took Zicam faithfully every 3 hrs for 3 days and the cold (which was sort of there- congestion was starting) was gone.  I felt great today!


I went to the Expo on Thursday and it was like Christmas for me!  Discounts all over the place.  Snagged some new threads, including some  Saucony armwarmers,  nice mizuno shirt, this shirt which I'd had my eye on for awhile, and an Air Force marathon technical shirt from 2009 (which I bought because $10 for good New Balance running shirt is cheap! but I feel like a poser since I didn't run it), oh, and a pair of running shorts.  Then I got my dh this gem of a technical tee so I could spot him at races! :-)

 Friday night I was freaking out what to wear since the temps were going to drop and I haven't really gotten used to running in the cold.  They were telling us to get there 1.5-2 hrs ahead of time.  Here was the forecast:

Decided on my running skirt, target tank that matches perfectly and I was going to wear my new armwarmers but decided last minute to take them off, good thing, I didn't have time to stay cold!

great view while waiting
So got up at 4 am, had my bagel and cup of coffee and headed out by 5.  Got to the Air Force Museum's gate for parking and hardly had to wait to get in and parked.   It was 5:20, so I jammed to music for awhile, checked facebook, then decided about  5:50  after watching hundreds of people walk by in the dark that I might want to get in line for the portapotties.  Did that and continued to walk about a mile in the dark to the start line.  Well, it wasn't really dark, they had portable lights going but they just blinded you more than anything and it was feeling more like 40 degrees than what my car said of 54 degrees. 

Finally got to the start line, hung out trying to stay warm for other hr, another trip to the portapotties they must of had over 200,if you walked long enough you didn't have to wait- and they were clean!  Very good, considering I always get the gag reflex when I go in those things!


So finally the RACE...
The Air Force Marathon started at the same time as the 10k so I decided to try running with one of the free pace teams, and found myself near the start line with the 3:15 pace group or 7:27 per mile pace.  The 10k splits after 3 miles with the marathon so I figured, I always go out too fast (6:55- 7:10 pace) so why not try it?  It worked for the 1st mile, then there was a hill, and wind, and I don't even have an excuse really, but I couldn't keep it up, so slowed down, watched the 7:40 pace group pass me.  Finally got to mile 2, (8:00 ) then it started going down hill again, Yay!, then I stayed pretty consistent. Messed up mile 3 to 4 since I saw a clock and hit my watch then noticed it had been only 4 minutes (I thought that mile had been quick!) so I hit my watch again thinking I must done something to it, then noticed the clock ahead saying 4 miles, ohhh, that other clock was for the other races. Oops!  Miles 5 and 6 felt great.  I was trying to chase down this woman in a white skirt ahead of me, finally did during the last mile, for her to speed past me the last .2 of the race!  Finished strong and PR'd!!!!!  46:45  


Splits:
Cub and Buster in their coonskin caps at the finish line!
Mile 1:  7:34
Mile 2: 8:01
Mile 3:  7:28
Mile 4: 7:05 (down hill)
Mile 5:  7:37
Mile 6: 7:26
Mile .2: 1:32


59 th overall out of 1668
14th overall female out of 956
3rd place in age group!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Athlinks

Disclaimer:  I am promoting  Athlinks  as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a  BibRave Pro (ambassador) , and check out...