Wednesday, February 1, 2012

It's Spring! no wait it's February

What month are we in?
The forecast has been a big talking point around here the last few days.  We've been having Spring-like weather which has been awesome! Yet, anyone who lives in Ohio knows that it probably will be snowing later this week.  BUT- it is great to get some great weather days for getting outside!

My HUGE Garmin
I got to bust out my new running skirt that I got from Christmas from dh and my favorite running shirt and my new Garmin.  That's it.  No extra layers, no jackets, gloves, long socks.  It actually felt weird to see my legs- I felt so exposed-and pale!  I set out for a 3 miler, since I'm trying to be good and build up my mileage slowly.  I was doing an out and back run today. 

I was about 2/3 of the way done, when I realized my house key was no longer in my running skirt pocket!  I had to back track through my route until I found it.  I'm just glad I'd stuck to sidewalks, because for awhile, I was thinking about running on the grass.  Needless to say, I won't do that again.  I had put my key my running skirt pocket that has a velcro closure but only on little part - I figured it was a deep pocket so it would be safe!  Normally,  I carry a water bottle-which I should have brought! (Can you tell I'm out of practice?) or I have my key in a zipped pocket or I tie it to my shoe.  I'll blame it on my excitement of running in 60 degrees again!  I ended up doing 5 miles in 43mins.  Not bad actually.  I'll take it.  Although, I'm feeling the impact of running since it's been awhile.  My legs are sore, a good sore, but sore none the less. 


Now for my big news...
for me anyways.  I went ahead and registered for the Flying Pig Half Marathon in Cincinnati on May 6th.  I'm so happy my running partner said she'd do it!  We're going to have so much fun!
"Running Happy" I am!


I was on the fence about it but I looked into some training plans.  I originally decided to use Hal Higdon's Novice B plan since the mileage was low...then I started looking at the Intermediate plan- it has 2 more days of running but I'm thinking I might try to do a mix of plans, since I want to keep my spinning as part of my training.  And, I like track workouts- yes, I'm weird.  The Novice plan just has you running 3 to 5 miles 3x a week.  I'd like a bit more of a challenge.  Yet I know I can't do too much too soon or I'll be out again. 


Have you tried mixing up training plans to  have something work for you?  Have you done any of the Hal Higdon marathon training plans? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Athlinks

Disclaimer:  I am promoting  Athlinks  as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a  BibRave Pro (ambassador) , and check out...