Saturday, March 10, 2012

Harrigan's race recap/PR!

 I was a bit nervous going into this race since I haven't run a race since the Columbus half marathon in October.  I'd run the Harrigan's 5k in Kettering last year and pr'd  running a 21:40.  Ten seconds faster than my old high school pr of 21:50. 

I wasn't expecting anything to great this year.  I figured that my training runs have been about 8:30 pace so I'd probably do better so I was hoping for around 22-23 mins.  I didn't want to set myself up for disappointment.  My training has been much lighter than last year by this time.  In fact, I only ran 2 times this week.  At the same time, I've been surprised how much spinning 3-4 times a week has kept in in shape as I dealt with plantar fasciitis.  I have felt stronger on my runs and consistently run about 8:30 pace for training.  I decided this race, I would not look at my Garmin for my pace, but to just go on how I felt...


 COLD...it was COLD.  Brrrr.  I got to Harrigan's about 40 mins before and stood around with everyone else.  I was totally regretting my fashionable running skirt,  cute purple compression socks, t-shirt, arm warmers (with my hoodie as my only cover up!)  It was cold.  35 degrees.  Everyone else was wearing tights, jackets, earbands, etc.    I knew once I started running I'd be fine, but that was a long 40 minutes!

Start to mile 1-  Forgot to start my Garmin until for about 40  6:seconds after the start (rookie Garmin user) doh.  I passed a bunch of girls I knew (who are much younger than me, and my motivation for the rest of the race- really hoping they wouldn't pass me later in the race).  I couldn't feel my feet yet.  They were frozen blocks of ice.  Reached the first mile in 6:40-  starting to panic a bit, that has to be my "adult" PR for a mile. 

Mile 2-3 Hoping keep it up...I kept waiting to feel "the burning lungs, I'm going to throw up" stage where I slow down and back off.  Nothing. Passed the 2 mile marker 13:something.  Pretty good.  Started to recognize the course from the beginning which meant it was almost done.  I pushed it as much as a I could.  Turned the corner, saw the finish line, saw that timer was still at 20 mins.  What?!  By the time I reached the finish line it was 21:13 (6:51 pace).  I'll take it.  Wow.  How'd that happen? I dropped 27 seconds off my 5k time.  That's huge. 

So, for someone who hates running on the track (umm, Carrie, talking to you), spinning definitely helps with the speed. I'm so happy to see that it does actually help my running.  I've been having a hard time looking at my schedule to try to fit in spinning. It can be such a hassle at our rec since there are only 14 bikes and you have to get there 50 minutes before to line up otherwise you're out.  By the end of the evening it can take almost 2 hrs of your night,  not good when the spring gets going and kids have soccer starting soon. 

So my stats are bit messed up since I started my Garmin late.

Mile 1- 6:40 at mile 1 clock (Garmin time 6:55)
Mile 2- Garmin time 7:12
Mile 3- Garmin time  6:31 (wow, did i really run that fast?! at the end?!)
Overall time for Garmin: 20:38
Overall Official race time 21:13
Place overall: 49/970
Place in sex:  11 overall female- I didn't count the rest, the results didn't sort them by sex
Place in age group 2nd!
Oh, btw- those girls never did pass me.  Looks like I'll get some street cred with them! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Athlinks

Disclaimer:  I am promoting  Athlinks  as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a  BibRave Pro (ambassador) , and check out...