Sunday, September 30, 2012

How to train for another marathon 6 weeks after the first?

IMM, Marathon #2 in six weeks


1.  Hit the wall early in your first marathon or get sick the week or two before or both!
2.  Have a crazy running partner that signs up for another marathon 2 days after the first.
3.  Realize how disappointed you are on how you did in you 1st race, vow to do better on the next one.
4. Sign up with 7 weeks to spare for a marathon relatively close to you and during a cooler time of year
5.  Search for a training plan for a marathon in 6 weeks!
6.  Rest for about 4 days, then start with cross training, then 9 miles one week after 1st race.
7.  Foam roll like crazy.
8. Start training again!  Hal Higdon's multiple marathons plan seems to work.
9. Relax about it.  (You've already done this, now just relax and go with it!)
10.  Be smart and listen to your body.

So how am I doing on this crazy quest?  

  1. disappointing finish in 26.2 √
  2. partner signed up for Indy Monumental Marathon
  3. signed myself up for the Indy Monumental Marathon (or now IMM for the rest of the blog)
  4. happy about the normal temps and distance from house with IMM √
  5. found Hal's training plan √
  6. Rested√
  7. foam rolled out all the soreness√
  8. training started this week ( Tues & Weds 3 miles each, Fri 6 miles, Sun 7 miles)
  9. relaxing about it  (still working on this)
  10. listening to my body √

So for those of you who actually are curious on how much more running I have to do... remember I have already trained 18 weeks for the first race, and 12 weeks before that for the Pig Half...so I'm going on 30 weeks of training...what's another 6 weeks? 

Week Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
6 Rest 2 m run 3 m run 4 m run Rest 6 m run 1-2 hours√
5 Rest 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m run 12 m run
4 Rest 4 m run 6 m run 4 m run Rest 6 m run 14 m run
3 Rest 4 m run 6 m run 4 m run Rest 6 m run 16 m run
2 Rest 4 m run 6 m run 4 m run Rest 6 m run 10 m run
1 Rest 2 m run 3 m run Rest Rest 2 m run Marathon   
 I'm hoping that will be enough, I might bump up  the mileage for the 12 -16 miles a bit more, but depends on my schedule with kiddos on the weekends.  I remember that was one of the reasons we (Carrie and I) didn't pick the Columbus marathon which is at the end of October, back when we decided on doing the Air Force marathon.

What am I going to do differently?  
  • Nutrition during the race- I have always used Clff Shot Blox but I found that I didn't eat as many as I should have during the race, since they were gummies and hard to eat on the run, so I'm going to experiment with gels. One of my coworkers gave me Crank Sports e-gel to try on a long run.  Have yet to try it but I liked what I saw on their website Crank Sports 
  • Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate before!  I drank a ton of water during the Air Force Marathon and I didn't pee until 4 pm after the race.  Yikes! 
  • Rest more during training.  I tend to get 6.5 hrs a sleep a night, definitely need more.
  • Take my vitamins! I don't know if I can avoid getting sick again, but here's to hoping! 
  • Different socks- I had a nasty blister from socks (that I've worn on long runs before and never had problems with!- must be my callous- still dealing with Bob the blister)  
    Surprise! I thought my toe hurt!
    Warning, gross picture ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Athlinks

Disclaimer:  I am promoting  Athlinks  as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a  BibRave Pro (ambassador) , and check out...