Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Knee questions answered

Here's the deal. I've been having knee pain for a year. It's always hurt under the knee cap or around the knee cap on stairs, going up or coming down, some days not at all. It started off just hurting after a long run here and there last January.



 By March, it was becoming more of a problem, interfering with my training. I added in some xtraining, when to my chiro, dry needled and KT taped it. Ran my marathon at the end of April with no knee pain at all (well at least not this knee pain, IT band issues on the other leg)

May- I rested for weeks. I xtrained. I went to the Dr. who told me it was runner's knee and handed me a paper with exercises. I did those, nothing. Changed my shoes- seemed to work went back to my follow up. No pain in knee (with the new shoes- and I wasn't running that much). Started picking up my running, knee pain back. Frustrated, called a new PT instead of another Dr appt.

PT- I went from July til Dec. Not much improvement. Lots of dry needling, ASTYM, estim, etc. I was able to run, just would get a day or 2 of reprieve. I ran well too. Thanks, Coach Becki! I raced a decent 10K, PRd in 15K and 5 milers this fall. My last race, the Turkey Trot, was the last straw. My knee was killing after it. I couldn't run, yet alone walk without some pain.

Back to Dr, MRI ordered.

"Chondromalacia and chrondromalacic osseous changes involving the lateral facet and critical zone of the patella with extensive marrow edema involving the patella"
I'm not sure what grade mine is...assuming grade 4 since I have "osseous changes" Feel free to correct me.

In layman's terms the Dr said "In any other bone this would be a stress fracture" Read- zero running for 6 weeks.  The chondromalacia means my cartilege is thinning/damaged. Options for that were a Visco injection or PRP. Visco is used for arthritis and isn't covered with my insurance (read $700-$1400 an injection that might work and might need to be done every 6 months) or PRP (platelet rich plasma which isn't covered by insurance and is *only * $500.  I went with the PRP since it is more a healing thing than covering up pain.

More later on the PRP injection.

So, what's in my future? I'm not sure right now. Although, it looks like I'm going to have to ease up on the running and definitely find my fitness elsewhere for the time being. I hoping PRP will work and I can get back to running since I'm running the Indy Mini this May 5th. I registered before I knew what was going on with my knee so there's that. Feel free to join me on May 5 in Indy. I mean, you get to run on the speedway! Plus Meb will be there! Discount code is BRP2018 for $5 off. 

6 comments:

  1. The Advantages of Running Addiction Withdrawal Being aware of what the signs are and what things to do can spare a life, maybe even yours. Learn about How to Improve Your Stamina with Respiratory Training on www.runningaddicted.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cross Training - adding low impact activities and workouts to your program can help with muscle wellness - strength and flexibility.

    Runner’s Knee

    ReplyDelete
  3. DR WILLIAMS CURED 7 YEARS AUTISM
    I am sharing this testimony for my daughter who suffered autism for 7 years. I am doing this, because I was her mother and caregiver  during her dark days and am very happy to share it so that others can be helped through  DR WILLIAMS HERBAL MEDICINE. It was a tough a battle for her; I was not actually the one who hard autism, but bearing the burden makes me understand what parents whose children and love with autism go through.
    Lesia now 19 and was diagnosed with autism at the age of twelve, for seven years, she fought against her diagnosis. I must admit it was never easy for us as a family; we had to constantly watch her, and answer questions that we couldn’t explain. On several occasions, she asked if she will ever stop having speech delay and get well like her school mates and be the best swimmer she dreamt of becoming. She was a very happy child; and had a ‘normal’ childhood and there was no suggestion that she would later on develop autism. 
    She refused to accept defeat and fought autism. She religiously kept to her medications in spite of their side effects. We all wanted a cure, so that she can chase her dream and live a normal life like every other child. But the more she takes these medications, the more her school grade drop. She couldn’t concentrate and we noticed that her memory was being severely adversely affected. Each time we went back to the hospital, her medicines were changed to a different one. Seems like, each change of drug brings about change in side effects. After about 6 years on   Abilify ,  Geodon  , and other medicines, it seemed the autism started to increase in frequency. I had to make effort to reduce her medicines with plans to eventually stop it all. We found an alternative treatment in homeopathy, which was better than her English drugs. Gradually, I reduced her drugs, and her autism were no longer as frequent as it was as when she was on conventional drugs.
    With our little breakthrough with homeopathy treatment, we made further search for natural cure. Fortunately we saw testimonies about herbal medicines which cure autism. We saw a lot of claims though, contacted them and didn’t get a useful reply. Lucky for us, we finally got a reply from Doctor Williams, he directed us to his blog where we saw a lot of information about his herbal medicine . Without further delay I made a purchase for her, I switched her over to it. We had great breakthrough, that in 3 weeks, her autism reduced. After 1 months as Doctor Williams promised , all autism symptoms stopped. It was like a miracle for us. since all this days now Lesia became autism free. Her story is quite lengthy, I hope it also help someone out there.for more information you can email Dr Williams on drwilliams098675@gmail.com  

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. CBD HEAT RELIEF ROLL ON PAIN CREAM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work. cbd cream for pain near me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…I’m happy to find so many useful info here in the post, we need work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. Caresole reviews

    ReplyDelete

Review: Athlinks

Disclaimer:  I am promoting  Athlinks  as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a  BibRave Pro (ambassador) , and check out...