Sunday, October 29, 2017

bumps in the road

I haven't been running much since my marathon. 1st of all, I was lacking any motivation in May. Maybe it was running burnout after training for Glass City or maybe it was the craziness of the end of school year and busy soccer season.

2nd of all: Runner's knee. I've had this before where your knee starts hurting when going up or down stairs, then it was happening when I was just walking around. I'd started having problems with this back in April before my race. My chiro helped with stim, ultrasound and dry needling. Post race though, it continued to be a problem without improvement even with rest. Like weeks of rest... Finally went to a Sports Med doc who gave me a printout of some standard PT exercises and I committed to doing them faithfully (at least till I felt better...). 

I also swapped shoes.  Now, I don't want to dog on the Adidas Ultraboost X that I just tested...but they did not work for me. I needed my Powerstep Pinnicle inserts in my shoes. When I went back to my regular shoes I had no more knee pain. Easy fix.

I had a follow up with the dr about the knee and used that to ask about my foot. I've been having 5th metatarsal pain in my foot for about 5 months. It was something I was monitoring and it never got worse just kept being there after running. It never hurts while running. When I took time off for my knee, I was hoping that the foot would get better too. It didn't. So, I decided that maybe having a Dr look at it and make sure everything was ok. Thankfully, it is. Xrays looked normal and he pushed my metatarsals around. I definitely have pain on the side but not directly on top of the metatarsal. He suggested my 5th metatarsal is overloaded.  Funny, now that he says that, I do feel I roll out on my foot when I run in my Mizuno Inspires. He gave me some metatarsal pads to put in my shoes. 

So, I can't win with running shoes. I switch between neutral Adidas Energy Boost 3 and support Mizuno Inspires. When I wore just the neutral Adidas I had hip/glute issues. Once I switched to my Mizuno Inspires my foot rolls out too much. I was switching between the 2 during training. I have a pair of Mizuno Wave Riders that I bought when they were on sale that I haven't tried yet. I used to run in those before my ankle issues a few years ago. I'll try those out eventually. 

Now, time to start training for Air Force 10k...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Athlinks

Disclaimer:  I am promoting  Athlinks  as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a  BibRave Pro (ambassador) , and check out...